Friday, November 7, 2008

Back in the day...

Tonight I'm sitting here in my peaceful house, eating my Ben and Jerry's ice cream, (karamel sutra, yum)and I'm listening to Bon Jovi. Old school Bon Jovi. The good stuff.

The first real music video I remember seeing was the "Living on a Prayer" one when I was like 8. Ah, memories. My mom had the best taste in music. She was a young single mom and she liked to rock out. I remember watching her and my aunt playing quarters and listening to Fleetwood Mac, Men at Work, Billy Idol,and my favorite, Culture Club.

Over the years I've come to realize that almost all of my favorite memories growing up have music attached to them. You know like when you hear that song, you go back to the time and place you were when you first heard it.

Like Warrant's, "She's My Cherry Pie". I was in my uncle J's room, in my grandparents haunted old farm house rocking out to that song. I think I was 9. Or Garth Brooks, "Ain't Going Down Til The Sun Comes Up". I was at my cousin Erin's rodeo and we were joking that was her song and she was going to run off with her cowboy sweetheart. I was 12 at that time and she ended up marrying him a couple of years later. And how "Cowboy Take Me Away", by the Dixie Chicks always reminds me of my grandpa and Silverton. I don't know why but I always think of him when I hear that song.

Now that I'm older the list has just gotten longer. Like anything by Boys 2 Men was our official 8th grade couples song. "My Heart Will Go On", (the Titanic song) will forever be attached to my 11th grade boyfriend. "How Bizaar" by OMC always makes me think of my high school best friend Heather and that summer after sophomore year when all we did was drive around and wait for that song to come on the radio because it never occurred to us to by the CD.

I could just sit here all night and listen to music. What's great though is that I have a husband who has a very eclectic taste in music and has introduced me to more great songs attached to great memories. Like the Used, "I Caught Fire" was our wedding song, how Madi would only sleep to "Eulogy" by Saves the Day, and when we have a few beers we are always listening to Danzig.

I hope that when Madi is older she will associate memories to music and feel the way the I do right now. Happy. Just happy about the life I have led and what has yet to come.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Music brings back memories for me too! I love it. And man o' man, I love having an iPod!

*jamie* said...

Ipods are the best thing ever invented. I love mine because I get to go back and forth between Avenged Sevenfold, Britney, and the Wonder Pets.