Friday, December 5, 2008

Homemade Gifts

So, I thought I would do a couple of posts about homemade Christmas gifts. Moms and Grandmas love these kinds of gifts and it makes them even better when children help out.

For instance, last year for Christmas my sisters and I got together and made a Christmas memory quilt for my mom. We each picked out 2 holiday fabrics. Then we had each of the kids design their own quilt block. They used everything from finger paints to buttons. When they were all done I sewed them all together to create a beautiful memory quilt. When my mom opened her gift she started to cry, she loved it so much. I know that it is something she will always treasure.

Anyway my project today was found here.

This site has 34 homemade gift ideas but I have to say that I loved this one the most.

*** Teacup candles! You’ll need craft-store wicks, wax (or old candles) that can be melted down, old teacups, and maybe a fragrance or two. Pretty single teacups (with or without saucers) can often be found at thrift stores for less than a dollar. Melt the wax in a double boiler, add fragrance if desired, then support the wick standing in the teacup while carefully filling the cup with wax. As the wax cools, it will contract and form a well. You can add more melted wax of the same color or add a second shade. These are fairly easy to make, but beware cups with obvious cracking; the hot wax may cause them to shatter.***




So cute. I think I will pass this idea onto my sister, the candle maker of the family. Presently, I am working on my mom's present but I will be sure to show a pic of it before I give it to her. Fortunately for me she doesn't read my blog so I can share it with you.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

That is such a great idea and turned out adorable!