Friday, April 29, 2011

Etsy Feature Friday

This is a new segment for my blog. I am using this and future features to promote some great people and introduce a shop that you may not know about.

Today's feature is Jill with Printastic Designs! Here is a little about Jill.

What inspires you?
I find inspiration in many things, some of which are nature, art, animals, and especially my family and my faith in God. A lot of my wall designs are family and home oriented. For example, there is a listing in my shop now with a little girl blowing the dandelion flower. This design was inspired by my 4 yr old who loves to pick dandelions almost every day. I love the simply fact that she sees a beautiful flower, when most everyone else sees a useless weed.

How long have you been doing this?
I have always been the creative type, and I've wanted to run my own business for as long as I can remember. I loved art class all through school, and developed a major interest in computers in high school. Combining these two favorites, I went to college for Graphic Design. Shortly after I graduated, I started working in the Art Dept of a small plaque casting foundry, where I am still employed. When the economy slowed down a few years ago and our hours were cut back at work, I finally made the decision to start up a small graphics business from my home that consisted of reselling printed products (business cards, flyers, postcards etc.) with my designs. I have a website, blog, and a facebook page in addition to my Etsy shop which all enable me to sell online as well as locally through word of mouth. I still only work at it part time, but I have expanded into reselling small signage, and now do my own vinyl wall designs which I sell on Etsy.
As far as when I officially started my business, I set up my website the summer of 2008 and have been slowly gaining momentum ever since. There are several entrepreneurs in my family so I've grown up with some great role models and hopefully one day, like them, I will be able to break away from my day job and work completely for myself.

Do you take custom orders?
Of course! Although I have a good selection of stock wall art designs on my website, I love custom orders. I enjoy discussing ideas with a customer who is excited about the project and has a good grasp of what they want. I always learn something new when trying to come up with a design to match my customer's vision and this push to do more, and learn more in order to please my customer is one of my favorite parts of being a graphic designer.
Logo design, Vinyl Wall Expressions and the printed products that I sell all have one thing in common. They all require some kind of design intended to catch the eye and draw attention to the information being displayed, so in my opinion, the best kind of sign is a unique one.

Favorite things?
There are so many.....
My family scrapbooks, works of art, interior vinyl, computers, art pens and colored pencils, a warm fireplace and a good book, handmade journals, lazy summer days, home made ice cream, dogs, cats and almost any other animal you can think of, cabins in the mountains, and the ocean among many others.

Jill's Etsy Shop


You can check out Jill's fabulous designs here, at her etsy shop and be sure to stop by her blog here.

No comments: